Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chinese Coleslaw

In my quest to add more vegetables into our family diet, I ordered a Bountiful Basket on Saturday. In my order was a lovely head of cabbage. I never buy cabbage, as I am the only one in my family who even likes it. But there it was, and I felt obligated to do something with it. So I got online and looked up some recipes that had cabbage in them, and this is the one I settled on. I made it tonight to go with our pulled pork sandwiches, and it turned out really great! David even ate two large helpings, and he has had a lifelong aversion to coleslaw. The reason I chose this recipe was because it's not a traditional coleslaw, but instead has a lighter, vinaigrette dressing. The best part of all is it only has 45 calories per 1 cup serving!
(The recipe is written the way that I modified it)

Ingredients:
5 cups chopped cabbage
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. raw sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. organic tamari (gluten free soy sauce)

Directions:
Toss all vegetables to combine. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving; toss again before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment