Tuesday, July 24, 2012

3-Bean Baked Beans


I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website, (tasteofhome.com) which is my favorite place to search for new recipes to try.  I altered it slightly, omitting the ground beef it called for and it tasted awesome!  I guess if you wanted it to be more of a main dish instead of a side dish, you could add the beef (1/2 lb.) but I liked it without.  I served these beans with pork ribs, corn on the cob, and some fresh sliced veggies from our garden, and it was the perfect summertime meal!  

3-BEAN BAKED BEANS

5 bacon strips, diced (I used pre-cooked)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 16 oz. cans pork and beans, undrained
1 16 oz. can butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 16 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup organic ketchup
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 tbsp. molasses
2 tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt

In a large pan, saute the bacon and onion in a small amount of olive oil for about 1 minute.  Add beans. Combine remaining ingredients and stir into bean mixture.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer on stovetop for about 30 minutes, OR bake uncovered in a greased baking dish at 350 for 1 hour.  

3/4 cup = 230 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment