Thursday, December 20, 2012

Tuscan Kale Salad

DR. ANDREW WEIL'S TUSCAN KALE SALAD

I found this recipe in the Whole Living magazine this month, and it is DELICIOUS!  I find myself craving it, and it's so good for me that I usually give in to that craving!  Besides being delicious, it is simple to make and takes only a few minutes to put together. I guarantee that this is the healthiest salad you have had in a while, and the flavors will have you making it again and again.  :D


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, mashed
  • 1/2 tsp coarse salt
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • 2 bunches Tuscan kale (about 14 oz), ribs removed and leaves sliced into 1/4-inch shreds
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings for garnish
  • 2 Tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs, toasted


Directions

  1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes. Add kale and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 to 30 minutes.
  2. Add grated cheese and breadcrumbs and toss.
  3. Garnish with shaved cheese before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to two days.

    A few changes I made:  I didn't bother to toast the bread crumbs, and it tasted great.
    Add a little less garlic if you are not a huge garlic fan.  I usually only do 1 or 2 cloves.
    I made the dressing and kept it in a bottle in the fridge to use all the time.
    I substituted baby greens for the kale a few times and it was very good.
    I found the cheese in the specialty cheese section at Harmon's.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention that Tuscan kale is a little different than regular kale -- it is a little sweeter and less rubbery. It is worth the effort to find it. I bought mine at Harmon's.

    ReplyDelete