Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Becky's Healthy (gluten-free) Bars



I got this recipe from a friend of mine who is a great cook.  She is an excellent baker, something I can only dream of being, but I am trying to learn!  This recipe was pretty easy, even for me, and they are really, REALLY good!  The best part about them is you don't have to feel guilty when you eat them because the ingredients are so good for you!  I made them gluten-free and they still tasted just as great.  I will list both ways you can make them and you can decide.

BECKY'S HEALTHY BARS

2 cups oatmeal
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup whole wheat flour 
OR 1/2 cup brown rice flour (for gluten-free)
1/2 cup slivered almonds (walnuts work too)
1/3 cup coconut oil, not melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
OR 1/3 cup agave nectar (I like Xagave brand)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (at least 60% cacao)

Blend 1 cup oatmeal in a blender until powdered (leave the other cup whole).  Do the same for the almonds or walnuts.  Mix oil, brown sugar, honey and egg together.  Mix all dry ingredients and add to wet mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.  Put in a 9 x 13 pan that is lightly sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.  Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes.   Cut into squares and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment