Avoid these five foods to look and feel healthy:
1. High Fructose Corn Syrup -- HFCS is found in many packaged and processed foods, and in most soft drinks. It was invented in the 1970's to be a cheap replacement for sugar and to make the shelf life of foods longer. Because it is in a liquid form, it can be easily incorporated into foods that never had sugar in them before, like wheat bread or spaghetti sauce.
2. Refined Sugar -- Sugar is just empty calories that make you crave more and more sugar.
3. "Enriched" Flour -- There is basically no nutritional value in this - all the important vitamins and minerals have been removed. White breads, cereals and pastas all contain enriched flour.
4. Saturated Fats -- Found in fatty meats and anything deep fried.
5. Trans Fats -- These are also known as hydrogenated fats. Hydrogen is added to them to keep them solid at room temperature and therefore makes them last longer on the shelf. These are not natural in food, and our bodies do not know how to break them down. This can lead to illness, weight gain, heart problems, etc. Trans fats are found in margarine, butter and many processed foods.