Saturday, October 6, 2012

EASY VEGGIE BEEF & BARLEY SOUP


Don't be scared, but I actually made up this recipe myself!  I was in the mood for some vegetable beef soup, so I started throwing some stuff in a pan and this is what came out.  It's a fairly simple, easy to  make recipe, but my family and I really enjoyed it.  If it looks a bit anemic, it's because I used organic beef broth, so no artificial colors!

Vegetable, Beef and Barley Soup

1-2 cups leftover Sunday roast, cubed or shredded
2 cartons organic beef broth
1/2 cup barley
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 can green beans
1/4 tsp. pepper
Salt to taste

Combine 1 carton beef broth, onions, celery and carrots in a large pot.  Add a little salt and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes.  Add other carton of beef broth, roast beef, barley, green beans and pepper.  Bring to a boil again.  Reduce heat to med-low and let simmer another 30 minutes or until barley is tender.  Serve with homemade bread or rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment